MSRIndia SMS Toolkit
This project acts as the community, discussion, feedback and sample site for the MSRIndia SMS SDK. The SDK allows any Windows Mobile 5 phone to be used in conjunction with a PC to act as an SMS Server, allowing developers to easily write SMS applications, using
just their phone and a PC.
Additionally, we also provide a collection of samples that among other things, allow non-programmers to use Excel to send bulk SMSs and to build simple information lookup applications.
Though we have not published the SDK to codeplex, we have published all of our samples and encourage any feedback on the samples and the SDK to be posted here.
We hope that you all find the SDK very useful and we look forward to hearing seeing your new interesting SMS Server applications!
The MSRIndia Advanced Development and Prototyping Team
What do I need?
To run our SMS SDK, you'll need:
* a windows mobile 5 based phone
* a PC running Windows XP or Vista
* a USB cable to connect your phone to your PC
Application Unlocked Windows Mobile 5.0
- SQL Server 2005 Compact Edition
- Activesync 4.0 and above
How to install
- Currently, you need Windows Mobile 5.0(and above) based phone.
- The installer does not check for software requirements, make sure you have prereqs installed, they are free and can be downloaded from the web.
- Contact us at msrisms (at) microsoft (dot) com for questions.
Please download the SMS SDK here:
Note, if you are not installing all those optional Windows Updates on XP, you may also need to download and install the .NET Framework 2.0; you can find that here:
If you just want to run the Excel sample files to send bulk SMSs and build simple infomation lookup apps, that's all you need!
If you'd like actually program against the SDK, you'll need a copy of Visual Studio. A free version of the Visual Studio 2005 express can be found here:
Running Excel samples
After installing everything, open the directory:
C:\Program Files\MSR India\SMS Server\Samples
and then run the file: SMS via Excel Sheet.exe
C:\Program Files\MSR India\SMS Server\Samples\SMS via Excel Sheet\SMS via Excel Sheet\bin\Debug\SMS via Excel Sheet.exe
Once you've opened the sample application, choose the excel file you would like to load (you can just use our default one and edit that later too)
The application will load all the numbers specified in the excel. Then just type a message in the application and click send!
Here's a picture of our SMS emulator (which is quite useful for you to test your application without actually paying for a bunch of SMSs until it's ready) running the Excel sample.
Writing your first SMS Application
1. Start Visual Studio, Select File->New->Project and Select "SMS Service" project from C Sharp Tab
2. You will then get a project which looks something like this - notice it's only about one page of code...
3. Write the code for Sms receive event - your code will be run after you receive an SMS
Other Sample Codes included with this toolkit
Active Directory Look Up
Do a Simple Menu based look up against your Corporate Database.
Doing a weather lookup via SMS and Excel Sheet
Here's an example Excel sheet that the sample parses to build a simple infomational lookup SMS application.
Here's the application after it's parsed the excel file.
And finally an example of what a user might see on their phone (shown here in our emulator).
To unlock a locked phone please follow these steps
You need a trusted Registry Editor for your Smartphone, you can download “Regedit STG” from
After you have downloaded “Regedit STG” the application unlock process can start.
1) Unzip the file and copy the regeditSTG.exe in it with ActiveSync into a folder on your phone (but not onto the memory card).
2) Now start regeditSTG.exe and change the following Registry Keys:
MACHINE\Security\Policies\Policies\00001001 = 2
-> Change the value data from 2 to 1
MACHINE\Security\Policies\Policies\00001005 = 16
-> Change the value data from 16 to 40
MACHINE\Security\Policies\Policies\00001017 = 128
-> Change the value data from 128 to 144
-> Add new value "0000101b": Dword = 1
3) After you have done all these steps close Regedit STG with the task manager (TaskMan) of your phone and reboot. That’s it.
Your phone is now totally application unlocked.
Also download this tool(make sure u follow step 1-3 before u try this tool)
and install if on your laptop or PC. Run it and make sure it says your phone is “security off”, if it is not just select “security off” from left panel and click “provision”.